This Tuesday, Grand Forks calendars mark the first day of spring: the vernal equinox. The onset of astronomical spring doesn’t quite coincide with Grand Forks’ real estate spring selling season, which most agree should be considered to start 12 days later, at the start of April.
Just about everything you need to know about why we expect Grand Forks’ spring selling season to be as active (some say “frantic”) as ever can be gleaned by a glance at the calendar. After the long winter, it explains why so many homebuyers seem to come out of the woodwork. Here are six of the calendar-based factors that help make spring the peak selling season:
- Families with children are captives of the school year calendar. They want to get their sale or purchase out of the way so that moving won’t disrupt next semester’s activities.
- Nicer weather moves people to get out to investigate. That may sound like a trivial reason, but when you add in the unarguable appeal of springtime gardens, the atmospherics alone would be enough to quicken sales.
- Tax refund checks are headed for 83% of filers. With average amounts in the thousands of dollars, it’s no wonder they give buyers a feeling of well-being. This year, 2018 federal tax reductions have also improved many a paycheck’s bottom line.
- Springtime provides a natural rebound from the typical Grand Forks winter real estate doldrums.
- Longer daylight hours provide more time for showings—and in real estate parlance, “brighter” is synonymous with “more appealing.”
- This year especially, there’s a ‘tick-tock’ factor: economy-minded homebuyers are incentivized to lock in Grand Forks properties before prices and interest rates rise.
There are always reasonable arguments for buyers and sellers to choose some other season, but over the long haul, the single point that’s hardest to dispute is in the numbers. Nearly 40% of U.S. home sales occur between April and July.
If you’ve been thinking that springtime might be the right time to create your own Grand Forks selling season, it’s not too late to make it happen! Give us a call to discuss how quickly we can turn that idea into action.